At present and for some time to come, China will face challenges like never before. However, we have unique political and institutional strengths, a strong economic foundation, enormous market potential, and hundreds of millions of intelligent and hardworking people. If we face challenges head-on, boost confidence in development, create strong impetus for growth, and preserve and make the most of this important period of strategic opportunity for our development, we will, without doubt, be able to make it through this challenging time. The horizons for China's development are full of promise.
On the basis of a comprehensive assessment of the current situation, we have made proper adjustments to the targets that we were considering before COVID-19 struck. This year, we must give priority to stabilizing employment and ensuring living standards, win the battle against poverty, and achieve the goal of building a moderately prosperous society in all aspects. Specifically, we have set the following targets:
- Over 9 million new urban jobs, a surveyed urban unemployment rate of around six percent, and a registered urban unemployment rate of around 5.5 percent;
- CPI increase of around 3.5 percent;
- More stable and higher-quality imports and exports, and a basic equilibrium in the balance of payments;
- Growth in personal income that is basically in step with economic growth;
- Elimination of poverty among all rural residents living below the current poverty line and in all poor counties;
- Effective prevention and control of major financial risks;
- A further drop in energy consumption per unit of GDP and the discharge of major pollutants;
- Accomplishment of the 13th Five-Year Plan.